Are you looking for some fun and engaging Science of Reading activities for your students? This year-long bundle is for you.
These cute seasonal Elkonin Boxes will replace the old, boring, and plain sound mats.
- Pick a card from the card deck.
- Say the picture name.
- Blend and segment the word on the back.
- Use the Elkonin Boxes to graph the word.
You can use the phonics cards as self-checking word puzzles too. Students can blend and segment the word and check the picture on the back.
Word Mapping Mats Included:
- Valentine's Day
- St Patrick's Day
- Back to School
This bundle is included in The Ultimate Science of Reading ENDLESS BUNDLE. Click here to find out more:
Phonics Cards Included:
- Beginning Sounds/CVC Words (141 words)
- Floss+z (21 words)
- Beginning and Ending Digraphs (62 words)
- Nasal Blends (39 words)
- Alternative Sounds (ed, /z/ spelled s, tch, dge, ce, tion and more – 77 words)
- Blends (160 words)
- Diphthongs (51 words)
- Long Vowels (57 words)
- Vowel Teams (71 words)
- R Controlled Vowels (41 words)
What is segmenting?
Segmenting is the process of breaking a word down into its individual sounds (for example cat, /c/-/a/-/t/).
What is blending?
Blending is combining sounds together to create a word (example: /d/+/i/+/sh/ = dish)
How to use Elkonin Boxes?
To use Elkonin boxes, a child listens to a word and moves a token into a box for each sound or phoneme. Students can move a colored circle or write a letter in the corresponding cell of the Elkonin box.